Saturday, October 27, 2007

Is your home personality a metaphor for your relationship personality?

Okay so I’m in a little Sex in the City (Carrie Bradshaw) blog mood….



So I was looking at the office this morning and thinking about all the small things that I have yet to do to make it complete. I’m also noticing all the minor nicks and dings that are already apparent in certain places. I’m wondering if I’m the only one that notices them. I think that since I was behind the scenes of the construction and saw this baby from start to finish I want it to remain as flawless as it was from day one… until PEOPLE entered the picture.


I have friends that have purchased brand new homes and others that I know, including myself who have purchased older homes and I’ve always been intrigued by the differences in their attitudes towards their homes. New homeowners go into their home with a certain expectation of “perfection” and are often disappointed by the most minor details, while purchasers of older homes go into theirs with an expectation of imperfection and an “I may have to fix it up some” mentality. So anyway, it caused me start thinking about life, specifically relationships in the same vein…..yes I’m going somewhere with this so bear with me….



In relationships, women often go in with really high expectations of perfection from a man and get disappointed when it turns out that he is flawed or can’t live up to her expectations, while men go in with a take it as it comes perspective. OR the woman comes in knowing that she has a fixer upper on her hands and rolls up hers sleeves, ready to “work with a brother”, then she gets accused of trying to change a man….it seems like she can’t win either way…so she gives up and continue to rent!



So my question to you is what is your home personality? I’ll go first….



Personally, I like the older homes, most of the time, they have more personality, been lived in before, loved by someone else before, taken a few nicks and dings, may even been a little neglected or not cared for as it should have by its previous owner, but can still be revived and become a home and be loved by someone new.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love older homes. Aesthetically, there may be some room for improvement, but the positives certainly outweigh the negatives. New homes lack detail, uniqueness, and history. Older homes tend to have a strong foundation. To me thats, priceless. Anything that it lacks can be upgraded. Now on the contrary, I don't think that I want an older home that has had too many renters, if you know what I mean!

Anonymous said...

My home personality is most definitely a reflection of my relationship personality. I'm almost 40 and I still rent...pretty indicative of the fact that I'm terrified of commitment in my "significant other" relationship, don't cha think?