Thursday, November 13, 2008

Life in Charm City

Baltimore really is a great city. I had all the proper ammunition to hate it (can you say the The Wire?), but honesty, I love it...okay I'm liking it a whole, whole lot and it's quickly turning into a love thing. There's something in the way the lights reflect off the cityscape as I emerge over the bridge at night that's just magical. I walk around with a lingering sense of real possibility and potential here. Tonight I even had one of "Baltimore's Finest" assist me in picking out wine. A wine connoisseur posing as a police officer? I love it! I must confess, I'm charmed.....

The apartment lifestyle is taking some getting used to. I traded in my cozy nest in the woods for the city life, and the crickets “cricking” for the loud thumping of my upstairs neighbor’s walk. I understand that it’s part of the scene but I haven't been so keenly aware of another person's presence in so long that it was a bit disconcerting at first. I was even chastised for being a "diva" about it so I've decided to adjust my attitude. CLEARLY I could do without the “Thong Song” house mix above my head at 7 in the morning, but I’m trying to be neighborly.

I’ve not had that many visitors but the ones that have graced me with their presence have been pleasant surprises and helped to create an atmosphere of love and warmth in my new space. There’s nothing like having the aura of those you cherish around to cozy up a place. I can’t think of a better housewarming present.

Work has been crazy..Even as I type this I'm borrowing time from some work that I brought home to complete. I went from a teasing sprinkle of work to a deluge (to borrow from my girl Seriously) in the blink of an eye. It’s brought new meaning to “ask and you shall receive”. I went from half bored to crazied…I know, I’m just making up the words as I go along…. The interesting and some might argue crazy part is that I love it! This is my element! The back to back conference calls, meetings, the added responsibilities all contribute to a sense of purpose (not as in my job is my purpose in life), productivity, and accomplishment on the job that's literally a high for me . I feel powerful and in control. Of course one of my "matter of fact" style friends says that I'm merely over compensating for a lack of a personal life. Whatever…

Speaking of which, the other day I checked out Towson Town Center (lovely place) then ordered take out from my favorite restaurant in the whole world. As I waited for the food I declared to myself that I would "be more open to dating again" and "put myself in a position to meet men"....only to shy away from the first man who approached me...lol. I'm just not ready. I want to hold out for something real, someone who's worthy of me. A suitor that’s husband material. A man that makes me want to swagger jag him. I've never been the type of girl that just goes out with random men. I honestly don’t care to juggle or entertain men that don't captivate my imagination of a happy brown family. I'm done with wasting time.

The holiday season is upon us and for me that means, traveling and stepping into the party life. I’m looking forward to both and plan to enjoy my time here in Charm City. Now back to my regularly scheduled program, Excel functions!! Yaayy!!!..not.

8 comments:

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

You do what you gotta do when the Thong song is on...

Anonymous said...

"Thong Song mix in the house above"...thats hilarious. I can almost imagine the expression of frustration on your face. I know it was priceless.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

good for u, just kind of cold to this country boy even when im up there in the summer lol great sea food. have a good weekend

jendayi said...

aww. how pleasant preciousGem! you seemed to be living a charmed life.

so i take it new location, new job, new life? that's going to be me in a minute. (just got laid off.) i'm excited!

Eb the Celeb said...

have fu partying missy!

Anonymous said...

I've been in Bmore for 10 years now and the first 4 were spent in college seemingly secluded from the real Baltimore that was right outside the confines of campus. After I graduated I was still reluctant to believe that Baltimore had a lot to offer me in the ways of entertainment, culture, arts, parties, etc. And I'm sure that coming from D.C. had a LOT to do with that (bias, LOL).

But a couple years after I graduate and took a job here (yes, a couple years) I took some time to hang out (read: party) and then started exploring the city a bit more. As a result, I've come to appreciate Baltimore much more. I don't love it but I am comfortable here for the time being and I agree that there is lots of potential and I believe that the leadership has a decent vision for improving the city.

With all that said, I'd recommend checking out Canton, Mt Vernon, Federal Hill, Mt. Washington, Canton. Towson is nice also and it seems you've already started exploring there.

Most of all, get all of the stuff that's right on the Harbor out of your system early. It gets old pretty quickly in my opinion but the Science Center and Aquarium tend to have different stuff going on all the time that keeps them from seeming like the same ole same ole.

Some other suggestions...

- Centerstage (plays and other shows)
- Reginald F. Lewis Museum (DOPE)
- The Hippodrome (broadway shows come here...or does that technically mean they're off Broadway?)
- Tuesday Nights at Eden's Lounge. There's an Organic Soul event that usually has poets, singers, and other "artists" performing. There's a ton of hidden talent in Baltimore. Eden's Lounge is also a decent spot to party Friday through Sunday
-Teavolve cafe in Harbor East
-Belvedere Square (I'm biased since this is right by my house, LOL)

There are more places that are cool depending on what you like but just know there are lots of hidden jewels in Baltimore. Everything's not as "in your face" as it may be in other cities, but they are there and as you discover them you'll probably enjoy the city even more.

One last thing. If you are going to be here for more than 5 years, buy a house. Apartment living in Bmore is NOT where it's at. Trust me. LOL.

Brothers Blog said...

LOL @ the Thong song.

But I feel you on the holding out for something real. Dating is for the birds as I say. I'd rather skip past and just get to the late stages.

Anonymous said...

i can definitely dig all the transitions and thangs...and i know you will adjust you are a survivor and you adjust to things well...

i am not ready to date either, so you aren't alone...but i rather just take my time so that its right...so keep doing you...

can't wait to visit!