Thursday, November 6, 2008

My Thoughts on Obama....

1. Since his emergence and especially after he captured the Democratic nomination, I never once doubted that Barack Obama would become our next President, never. Not even with all the ploys of the GOP, I just knew it and my spirit would not waver.

2. I'm cautious not to deify Obama or any man for that matter, but I just felt that this was divine, in that it was time, a natural progression even. I can't honestly say that I never thought I'd see a black President or even a woman President in my lifetime, especially since I have a lot of life yet to live...but then again I have been known to be very idealistic and hopelessly optimistic. In my mind ANYTHING is/has always been possible. I'm glad that it's happening sooner than later though. And I'm ecstatic that this can raise the black man's (global) morale, and give the babies an alternate role model. However, we see him, it will behoove all of us to recognize and understand that after the brief honeymoon, the real work begins and it's not always going to be roses, high fiving and bottle popping.

3. My favorite part of Barack Obama's ascension is the way it's energized the entire world, especially since the face of the globe overwhelmingly resembles his. I love it, I wish I was in Africa right now to celebrate this with them.

4. The newspaper shortage in the DC area (and other major cities) is one of the most curious things I've ever witnessed. Even more curious is the fact that newspapers were in abundance when I arrived in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania very late on Tuesday night and even into Wednesday morning..LOL! I tried to collect as many as my bag could carry.

5. I heard a guest on Bill O'Reily's show say today that "Obama caused gay people in California their right to marry" because so many black people came out to vote for him yet voted against gay marriage in California. He adds (paraphrased) that "Black people are liberal and want social programs but are culturally conservative when it comes to socially progressive issues". Wow! My question about this statement is this: If 2 out 3 voters under 30 (black, white et al) voted for Obama, does that mean that the majority of black voters over 30 in California are opposed to gay marriage? ....Clearly black people are not the only voters that affected this outcome. They finally admitted that Hispanics also opposed it by a small margin and whites voters approved it only by a small margin. I just hated the way they tried to put that on Obama. I watch this man's show with my hands over my eyes, peeking through my fingers. What a train wreck!

6. Everyone already knows how I feel about ...Michelle Obama

7. Seeing this gorgeous first family makes me want to run out, become the wife of somebody worthy and make some beautiful brown babies.

8. To me, the highlight of Obama's message is the call for personal responsibility. At the end of the day, this will make all the difference.

9. One more thing about Barack Obama, there are still a lot of people in this country that are very unhappy about his election. It's difficult for some people to even say the words "President elect" and "Obama" and unfortunately these people are not going to let their disdain go easily....along with praying for Obama, please say a few for the hearts of his haters.

4 comments:

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

First u look at too much tv - cant get no info from their just - entertainment. This was historic no doubt, but we better free our minds and recoginze the real. he is one man and although he sounded good and this is historic, america has to want to change, not to mention many of us negro comfortable up in here

i just hope the red states dont take us back pre 1960

T.a.c.D said...

he is but a man...and i like t hope that the red states don't get real "ugly" in the way the act and feel...the 'folks' here in the city been acting up too...this older clear man said something to me yesterday along the lines of "hump good day for you indeed"

angry much???

a lot of people passed the ban on prop 8 because the language was such that many thought that they were voting FOR the move...

i don't think its fair or right and it reminds me when we not to long ago as women and people of color were denied certain basic rights so i think that whatever their personal choices are, are their choices, but that they shouldn't be denied certain rights, the same rights that everyone else has...

okay i am off my sope box...

i miss you p!
peesh

GemisMyName said...

@ Torrance-Yes, I agree that there is a lot of work to be done and the man is facing some lofty expectations. This post was more so to share the sentiments of many that history has been made and it's a cause for celebration. I know that what lies ahead is not all peaches and cream...I will be praying for the brother as I've done for Presidents past and present...they need it!

@ TC-I was thinking the same thing on Prop 8, folks did not understand the ballot!! It just does not add up, especially in Cali. That whole voting process can be hella confusing.

Eb the Celeb said...

#3 is the one that has gotten me the most... that night there were black, white, asians, hispanics hugging total strangers in the streets of ny in celebration the entire night... I got home at almost 5 am and someone high fived me when I was walking up to my building... it was a great feeling

and it didnt hurt that the newspaper industry has been in the biggest slump in history on a steady decline for the past 5 years and the last couple days have stepped up... I still havent gotten me a copy... ugh!