Monday, August 4, 2008

I'm Back!!!!!!!!

I feel like my girl TC with the "I'm Back" post but the title is just so befitting, what can I say?

So yes I'm back and honestly it feels good. As much as I love Africa and still plan to move there, I missed my people! I touched down at 6:00am today and things kind of got off to a rocky start. I was in a bit of a funky mood and I was straight lunching!! But Ima be easy on myself because one of my bags did not make it to the states (blower number 1) and I had to pay $476.00 to exit the airport parking lot and I felt awful even though I know I'll be reimbursed. It just felt irresponsible of me to have been rushing and parked in the premium lot instead of the less expensive lot on accident, but I'll get over it. On top of that my car (tire) was making a funny sound. I have to admit that I was feeling sorry for myself because as all this was happening, I had a moment of immense loneliness and feeling tired of always doing it alone. I remember when I was going to Atlanta and my friend gave me a ride without me having to even ask and how good and relaxing it felt to have this little help, especially since he also helped me find my driver's license in a crunch and kept me from missing my cousin's wedding! I loves me some him!<:)

Later (after some much needed sleep), as I reflect on why I was moody this morning, I realized what it was. It's just too bad I couldn’t find the words to describe my emotions without sounding needy and pitiful. I still think I sounded pitiful and needy but every once in while I have one of those "damsel in distress" moments and wish to be rescued and taken care of. But guess what? Right now, that's not a luxury for me so, NEXT!

South Africa was a blast. The last week there was stressful, workwise but when is work not stressful? After everyone moved into the new building, we had only one phone line (going in both directions) because TELCOM, the telecommunications monopoly in SA just felt like taking their time. Finally on Thursday we were up and running with that but our crazy real estate agent called me out of my sleep on Friday morning with some BS about more ridiculous charges that they want us to pay. See that right there is why I opted to fight them the first time instead of just giving in, BUT NOOOO!! Like the Bible says "don't give place to the devil". Now these bastards are going to be coming back with all kinds of foolishness and honestly I am not surprised. But hey, I tried and frankly I'll fight them some more.

Friday afternoon we had a wine and cheese celebration where I was highlighted for my efforts. It's nice to be appreciated but it's so embarrassing to be put in the spotlight especially when I know that this project took a village (no pun intended). Then I realized that I did bust my tail to pull this project off and was diligent in selecting the right vendors, contractors and team to work with. I also did most of the planning phase in the states and that presented an even greater challenge. It was not easy at all but in the end, everything went well, so for that I say yes, give this chick a hand, because I gave it my all, did a great job and I deserve it. So I got over myself, stuffed my face with some good wine and fruit and enjoyed the moment.

When I got off work Friday evening, I had a fabulous facial and even went on a little date. <:)

Saturday I got some much need retail therapy, went back to my room and packed for my departure and now I'm back!! Did you miss me?

3 comments:

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

yeaa
u make me wish i was in afarica again folk

T.a.c.D said...

yes i missed you!!!!
and YES you are totally entitled to have a "moment" every now and then...its hard out here...being single and independant sometimes gets old...so have your moments and allow yourself to feel how you feel...its okay

I am SO glad you were recognized you did bust your butt while you were there so GOOD for you!

see you friday night right?

But maybe it's just me... said...

Of course you were missed!! Congrats on all of your hard work...you definitely deserved the wine & cheese, and the date! :)