Monday, September 14, 2009

Summer of 2009-Reflecting

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times; it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness; it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity; it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness; it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair; we had everything before us, we had nothing before us; we were all going directly to Heaven, we were all going the other way."—Charles Dickens

This summer has been crazy! Well it's practically over now, but I'm taking a moment to reflect. Two aspects in particular stand out to me; death and birth.

Some deaths did not directly affect me but still took a moment to deal with (Michael Jackson, Farah Fawcett among others)....


and then there was the death of a dear, dear friend of mine. Every time I think of him, picture his face, remember our last hug, I get sad and I need to take a moment to regroup. He was such a beautiful human being inside and out and though he knew and loved God and is in a better place, it hurts no less. Thinking of his new bride who is now a widow after a few short months of being married to her King seems no less tragic. I miss him, I'm still mourning him and things will just never be the same without J!

The thing I've realized though is that as much death that has befallen some loved ones, there have been children being born all around me. From close friends to old school pals, folks have been popping out some babies man! All this just makes me thank God that he always replenishes what is lost, figuratively and literally.

This summer I went to Puerto Rico with my girls and also had the opportunity to visit Brazil. Both beautiful places in their own right and both inspiring to me. I love traveling; I discover something new about myself whenever I go somewhere. I also discover something new about God. I always feel him ever so close and I know that he's trying to show me something, teach me something. I want to learn whatever it is.

1 comment:

T.a.c.D said...

Yes it was one heck of a summer...the charles dickerson quote says it all for me, and as fall approaches and we move forward we will always remember the lessons learned in the summer of 2009