Monday, December 1, 2008

Lonely's Company

I try to be patient, but I'm hurting deep inside
And I can't keep waiting, I need comfort late at night
And I can't find my way, won't you lead me home
Cause I'm lost in this dream, I need you to hold me
I'm scared of lonely
--Beyonce

It hits me like a wind gust every evening as I leave my office
Once my day is complete and it's time to tuck the power player away, and put the business woman on the shelf, I head out the door, and the moment I exit...he's waiting there, to greet me into the cold.

As I drive along the highway, listening to radio tunes (half drowned out by my own thoughts), he's the constant passenger in my ride...Once I finally make it to the house, insert the key into the lock and enter my door, he welcomes me there too, like an unwanted intruder, that's made himself at home.

As I jog, as I write, as I shop, even as I sit in my classes, trying to remain engaged...lonely is my constant companion and my faithful friend....I am tired of lonely, I've been trying to fight this feeling he brings...but the harder I fight the easier I succumb, the longer I resist, the more he persists, he refuses to disappear.

I've tried to convince myself that I'm better than this. But who am I to believe I'm exempt from this place of neediness? How self righteous of me to pretend that I'm above this...constant nagging of "why am I still single"?..."why have I not been chosen yet"? "When will it be me"? Yeah I'm feeling it and I'm finally ready to admit...I'm scared of lonely.

Do I love my family, of course! Do I adore my girlfriends, heck yes! But there's something about this void, that can't be filled entirely by them. Jimmy Choo and Christian Louboutin could only temporarily comfort me...and even as I shopped, I was trapped in my thoughts; "it would be so nice to wear these on a date with my boo"...how sad, huh? Yeah, it’s almost laughable.

The last thing I wanted to do after that horrendous ride on the Amtrak , was to come home and be...alone...I closed my eyes and dreamt of escaping the cold right into his arms and curling myself into a tight little ball next to him and just breathing him in...letting the cold, frustration and weariness melt away.

But that's simply not my reality..so each day I shake myself off, put lonely in his place and do what I need to do. All along I think and think and think....and I realize that my safest refuge from lonely is being alone...to ponder and dream, and fantasize about him. I've created a world where lonely is not so scary after all...in my thoughts.

3 comments:

jendayi said...

I'm pretty sure God could fill your void until 'he finds you'. Be alone (with Him), not lonely.

But maybe it's just me... said...

Wow...powerful and honest post. And I feel you.

T.a.c.D said...

I can admit that I too had this feeling about 2 years ago and that feeling allowed me to settle because i wanted that void filled so badly...so that's the only thing i will definitely say is don't allow your lonliness to consume you that glod plated looks like real gold...

you are a wonderful person in and out...and in time he will come right now just focus on P...focus on GOD and P and that walk...he'll fulfill every part of your being...that's REAL!