Monday, July 14, 2008



This weekend was so nice!! One of our colleagues volunteered to show us around and took us shopping and for drinks at one of the wine farms in Paarl. Later she took us back to her home and we hand a Braai aka a barbecue, bka a cookout! Only it was cold out so we brought the food inside to eat. South Africans are serious about food.

It's strange because I don't feel as foreign to all of this since I've been here once before and it feels kind of nice to be able to show other people that have never been here around a bit. We took a cab into Cape Town over the weekend and the cab driver did not know where he was going. As soon as we got lost, I knew it. He was not even saying anything but I was like, "dude I don't think we're going to right way". We did some shopping on the open market and then we went to the waterfront and visited my favorite store. It’s a t-shirt store that boasts to be the "Greatest T-Shirt Store in the World" and until I see one better, I am inclined to believe it. They have all kinds of T-shirts, hoodies and trucker hats. My friend was going crazy! I bought a few for me as well as some gifts. I love the fact that a good selection of the tees are locally manufactured. I try to buy those.

I went to the Body Shop at the mall and found a new love! A few years ago I went to visit my girlfriend in NYC and she gave me some Crème Brule body stuff by Laura Mercier. I love, love, love this stuff and I often give it away as gifts. But man it's pricey, so in these economically difficult times, I now have the Body Shop's Brazil Nut line to supplement with. Love it!! I know this is totally random but that's how serious I am about pampering and how stoked I am about this discovery! My only question is why did I have to come all the way to South Africa to find this?

I have not exercised in one whole week and I feel so out of sorts. I am on a mission to find a gym to do some weights in and I am running again, stating this evening. Last week I was staying at work late and it gets dark here at like 6pm, not exactly safe for a runner in a foreign land. But I did bring a jump rope and my resistance band, but have not skipped one turn with the rope since I've been here and been stuff my face with food and wine. But I'm loving every minute! LOL, sometimes, you just gotta let go....

I think I'm on the brink of an important and life changing decision. I believe I am ready to decide that I see me living abroad within the next 3 years. Yes abroad, preferably in Africa. I know it's calling me, but will I answer? I know I want to relocate and I know that I love Africa!! Okay I've only been to two countries in Africa but I love both. I guess that's the same thing as someone that's only been to Washington saying that they love America. Of course there are details that I would need to iron out but man, I can so see it!

My ex called to say he was "just thinking about" me and hoping that "everything was going well". I was surprised but I thought that was sweet of him, considering that no one else has called or even sent a text. The ironic thing is that earlier while I was at the market I saw the most amazing gift for him and I really considered getting it. He is an avid chess player and this gift would be meaningful to him and it was so beautiful and was being sold by a brother from Malawi who is also really into chess. He was really trying to talk to me about chess as if I cared but I obliged him because he was clearly passionate. My girlfriend who knows the history of me and the ex was like “girl, I know you aint about to buy him anything”???!!!! Is it strange that I would consider it? I mean he’s not my enemy and it took a WHILE for me to come around to even speaking to him, but dang. That’s just my heart I guess. All I could think about in that moment was how much he would love this piece...

One last thought, my hair is outta control!!! More on that later...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey P. Glad to hear that you are 'letting go' and enjoying the moment. So you're going to live in Africa, huh. I say go for it! I'd miss the hell out of you, but the flipside is that I would have a friend to visit in Africa, hopefully. And as far as getting the gift for your friend, get it if you want to. I don't understand why you question yourself so much when it comes to stuff like that. You know how selfless you are and gifts to seemingly undeserving people apparently comes with the territory. Keep being you!

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

me too

T.a.c.D said...

a move sounds nice, i mean if you moved to Africa i would have a reason to put together a plan to visit the land....don't you just shake your head at yourself sometimes...don't change your heart condition though just be you and in the end someone will definitely appreciate it

But maybe it's just me... said...

Wow...moving to Africa. I say go for it! And count me in on the growing group of folks who would consider that an open invitation for their first Africa visit! :)

And btw, I say go with your heart. Don't fight the kindness...if your instinct was to get the gift for your ex, go ahead and get it. If it feels like too nice of a thing to do, remember the pleasure one gets from giving gifts and consider yourself selfish for doing so. ;) (Does that help...lol...)