Thursday, July 10, 2008

South Africa....One More Time!!!

I am writing this while watching Zulu soap operas (I am addicted to them) at a bed & breakfast in Paarl, South Africa. I'm actually in my friend/colleague's hotel room because my room is freezing. Yes it's cold here and it's taking my body a minute to adjust to it. But I'll be alright, I have three more weeks to be here.

When I was leaving on Monday I phoned him from the plane and said something about if I didn't make it, he should know that he's the last person I spoke to. Why did I say that? Of course I made it safely but the turbulence on that plane ride here had me praying in tongues and begging for mercy & forgiveness for my reckless words. I have learned my lesson, trust! I should have just said what I really wanted to say instead of talking crazy.

Also while I was on the plane I had an interesting conversation with a tobacco exec from South Carolina. I work for an HIV prevention non-profit that basically functions like a biotech in that we research and hope to develop viable HIV prevention options for women, specifically women in resource poor countries who are more vulnerable to the disease. Anyway, once I explained this (what a mouthful)to Mr. Tobacco Exec he made some comment about still thinking AIDS was a homosexual disease (ignorance is bliss for some people) and then he just flat out asked me if I'd been "exposed to HIV". He meant to say do I have HIV. I know that I don't THANK GOD but I laughed to myself because I have always pretty much figured that some people wonder that when I tell them about the line of work I'm in but just never had the nerve to ask, but this old man just came straight out and asked. I think that when it comes to this topic more people should just ask and as a matter of fact more open dialogue would probably prevent a lot of new HIV infections, yes indeed. (End of soap box)

So far it's going well and I am so excited to be here. I've been very busy since I touched down and I had to give a few Afrikaans (white) men a piece of my mind today, but it's all good. In the end I am here to do a job and I don't scare easily. You can really feel the racism here and I've confirmed with others that it's not just my imagination. Basically this architect was trying to breach our contract and I was not having it. My boss does not even know about it yet and I hope to have it all sorted out without having to dish on the drama. I've got it covered though.

I am trying to make my way into Cape Town this weekend for some business (personal entrepreneurial venture) and some action! Paarl is pretty to look at and has plenty of good wine but is boring as hell. Cape Town is where all the magic happens. LOL!

It's interesting to me that whenever I am away from home I NEVER feel home sick or have an overwhelming desire to come home. I wonder what that means? We'll see how it goes this time. Overall I am loving this opportunity and experience. I am so appreciative, I recognize that I am blessed and I am having the time of my life!!!! I plan to get everything that I can out of it and not take a moment of it for granted.

Peace

3 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

wow...such a wonderful job! that's totally something that i would love to do...and older people just don't care...LOL...they figure they have lived their lives and if they want to know something they'll just ask...well please be safe and only prayers and safe returns okay...ok

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

i love s africa

But maybe it's just me... said...

I'm finally catching up on your blogs from SA and feel like I'm trying to live vicariously through you! I caught a few minutes of the CNN special "Black in America" the other evening and they were talking about black women and HIV. And it's a shame (and scary) that the Tobacco Exec on your plane isn't the only who would still 'like to think' that it's a homosexual disease. You're doing a great work with your company. Keep fighting the good fight!