Saturday, October 18, 2008

Good People Still Exist

Today I pulled up to Ritas Ice Cream, thirsty to cop one last Mango Blendini before they shut it down for the season. I pulled out a card from my purse, jumped out my whip, rushed to the window and placed my order. When it was time to pay the woman, I looked down and to my horror the credit card I was holding was not mine! I was stupefied for a moment and I immediately began to imagine all the "scenarios" that could have landed someone else's credit card in my possession. Did I inadvertently steal it? Was my new tenant trying to set me up? Was one of my classmates trying to sabotage me?Am I on candid camera? Yes I know, far fetched... Once out of my haze I realized that maybe the woman at CVS somehow gave me someone else's card after my transaction earlier? Naw, because I never actually handed over my card to her.

After I went back to my car to get MY card to purchase my Blendini (I wasn't too shook to forget that), I knew I had to immediately call the card holder's bank. When I called, the rep was "surprised" that I called to report this??!! I asked "why"? The woman was like "most people would try to use it and take advantage of the situation, especially in this economy". "Not I" said I. I live (well try to) live by the law of reaping & sowing, ESPECIALLY in this economy I need all the good karma available! So I gave the chick all the info on the card so she could cancel it and left it at that thinking "I just hope someone would do that for me".

But that's not the end...I was still wondering how this could have happened, then it suddenly hit me....Darn Carrabba's carryout girl! Last night I took my greedy tail to Carrabba's and ordered some lobster ravioli and picked it up at their curbside take out. There was another party in a car next to me and the carryout girl "Julie" had given us both a bag and obviously collected our cards for payment simultaneously then disbursed the wrong cards after running them...shame on you Jules, and shame on me for not double checking my card when she handed it back, before pulling off. I was distracted by a cell phone convo at the time. Lesson learned.

So I called up Carrabba's and the other party, with obviously better memory and equally good intentions had already turned in my card. Aww....they wouldn't have gotten far with it any, LOL!<:)

3 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

YES!!! this is so inspiring!! I am totally happy that you were able to get your card back...this is really inspiring

GemisMyName said...

Moments like that just solidify my belief that people are intrinsically good...maybe I'm naive but I need to believe that.

T.a.c.D said...

i do in my heart believe that MOST people are good...but like the article i read a month or so back...i also believe that 1 in every 25 people have NO conscious what so ever...that I too honestly believe...