Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Young Love

Ahhh....the beauty of young love. The way it can make you feel vulnerable yet secure at the same time. You know, the kind that you dive head first into, toting your heart on your sleeve, giving of yourself with reckless abandon, living in the moment...every moment. That's the kind of love I want, again. I want that makes you fall hard and is tough to get over if you don't win, might leave you bruised and broken, even make you cry but I'd take the fall again kind of love. Some say you can only have one, I disagree, I think that this captivating, rapturous kind of love, can be had over and over again. The hard part is allowing it to happen, especially if you've ever loved and lost. Recently I've witnessed this organic kind of love, that "just happens" and it makes my heart smile. It's interesting that as soon as we try to cozy into some "I don't even want it anymore" place, things happen to melt that iciness right away.

I happened to be watching "Making the Band" randomly and they were airing an episode where Dawn from DK and Q from D26 have to be separated for tour reasons. My how it wrenched their poor little hearts to have to be apart, especially Q. I giggled and swooned at the way he referred to her as "my girl". I loved it...then I happened to see a video on FB made by an old high school friend who recently got married. The video (well actually audio) was of his proposal to his wife. They are both 27 now, 25 then. His wife's reaction to his proposal was priceless. Wow! She cried, I mean snotting up, loud, like something tragic happened, ugly sobbing...but they were tears of joy. They were the tears of a woman who was being proposed to by her King, the one she'd dreamed of, the one she wanted to marry, knew they would one day but was still shocked and ecstatic at his proposal. She was marrying her "one", not "Mr. Good Enough" or "Mr He'll do let me hurry up and make some babies cause I'm going on 30" or "Mr. He Needs to Marry Me Since We've been together X amount of years", nah...this was her "Mr. Just My Size" "Mr. Makes My Heartbeat" "Mr. Can't Be Without Him" "Mr. Still"....asking for her hand in marriage. Oh you just don't know what this does to me. I don't necessarily believe in the "One" since I've loved deeply on more than one occasion. I believe that love is whatever you allow it to be and can take you however far you're willing to go. There can be more than one person that makes you feel this oooh la la kind of way. As we grow older and go through some things, we get further and further away from this level of naivete, carelessness and we let our wisdom dictate our actions. Nothing wrong with that. But right now I am thinking about being caught up in the rapture again..Do your remember how that feels? Smiling at the mere thought of them, getting butterflies every time you're about to be near them, checking your lip gloss, wearing your best "just in case" fits....yeah...I remember and I just hope and pray that the junk, the failures, and disappointments don't EVER make me jaded. Because love is not a spectator sport and is best experienced in full contact.

4 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

you know what P...thanks! Thank you for always reminding us that there is always a brighter side of things...LOVE in its purest form is really all we need...and i want that feeling, definitely NOT right now...but maybe right now i need that feeling for myself FIRST and then i'll be ready to fall utterly in love with someone else, like head over heals deep...

i think i have been close but i am ready for that "one" (like you i don't think that there is just ONE person though to many people in the world) but that ONE that's everything i need and want in a man...

GemisMyName said...

Girl not to mention, so may folks around me are falling in love right now..It's so sweet. I guess folks are looking for someone to bun up next to the fireplace with. I don't want it RIGHT now either...but when it happens I want to just fall without reservations. There's a freedom in that

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

LOL at the oh la la

but love is youth to me, u know what i mean

jendayi said...

wow. i remember that love. but it's so far away right now. breakups completely cloud those memories and feelings. one day, i will desire that rapture just like you. get caught up in it girl!