Sunday, September 21, 2008

Grown Folks' Business

Somewhere between, the mistakes, the breaks, the changes, the pain, the triumphs, the good, the crazy and the convoluted, I evolved into this beautiful, sexy (you know I had to throw that in there <:), thoughtful, independent, kind, generous, sometimes misunderstood, but always well-meaning, selfless, loving, wise, fun, funny, fearless God fearing, Grown Woman. WOW!

This might seem obvious enough but every once in a while, it just hits me! Like "girl you are so grown, you are such a woman", hell "phenomenally" even, to borrow from the great. LOL! Have you ever experienced this moment? Handling your own affairs, paying your bills, taking your vacays, putting money in the bank, having fun, loving, learning, and living the life that you've always wanted. Add to that, the fact that I've managed to surround myself with so many like minded goddesses, wow! I love it!! Today it happened as I was conducting one of my "pamper sessions". I peered at my eyes from behind my facial mask and said "gone GURL"!! "Get it Ma, you're doing you". Yes ladies and gentlemen, taking a bubble bath can induce such moments of clarity and self awareness (no pun intended). You should try it sometime. I had my music going and I just felt this surge of peace and excitement. I'm always an interesting dichotomy of extremes, LOL! Anyway, while taking my bubble bath with my glass of wine (yes sir, red wine to be exact) I think I uncovered the secret to life too..............................................wait for it, wait for it



Life is a constant process of evolving, learning, and growing that does not cease until we die (sorry if that's a little morbid and deflects from the positive tone of this post a bit). But yeah, that's a gem right? Of course I'm being facetious, but real talk, we (talking about women again) put sooooo many timetables on everything, even our own growth. Like "I can't be doing this anymore, girl, I'm going on 30 darn years old" when the "this" we're referring to is loving and losing, having a change of heart or mind about things, making some bad decisions (that we thought were good) or just some stuff that we can't really stamp a darn age limit on. Now should we know better about some stuff? Of course but it's not age that dictates, it's experience that brings wisdom (if we allow it). Cause what if you're a 35 year old woman that's never been in love before and gets your heart broken real good for real at 37? Does that make you stupid, green, immature? I vote no. Or what if at 42, you decide that the career you chose no longer fulfills and you want to go back to the drawing board to pursue your passion, do you lack direction? Again, I think not.

But I aint even trying to preach today. Maybe it was the good Word at church today (see what happens when you go to church? All positive and stuff)or the Jill Scott I was pumping as I took a time out for me, but I'm just feeling good about my womanhood and I want to celebrate!!! Who wants to raise a glass with me? Here's to me and all my other Grown Ass Women (and men), doing their thing, having fun and loving life!! CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow if I come back up in here, an emotional wreck, please don't hold it against me, ok? We've already established that this is a LIFE LONG process, right? LOL!! <:)

I'm ready for whatever's next though. Grown Folks , stand up!!!!! Okay sit back down, you know you're at work.

3 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

HELLO! get it P!

But maybe it's just me... said...

Very well said. Cheers!! (And since I'm sitting in front of my computer at the house, I can stand up for my grown folk-ness freely!) :)

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

music can shole get a person in the mood